Friday, November 16, 2012

Spreading It

Is there anything like a screaming group of middle schoolers running around a gym playing 'foxes and chickens' on a cool November night to make it feel more like fall?   Last night at Blalack's Parent Night, autumn was in full force and it was a great feeling.  

If you've never heard about our parent nights, allow me to tell you about it.  LINC partners up with 14 schools around the metroplex and Ft. Worth to connect kids with their parents in a meaningful way - giving both the opportunity to grow closer over pizza, classes that teach parent how to reach their kids, and group games that focus on teamwork and goofiness for all.  Our focus is the promotion of healthy families and healthy relationships. 

I'm in charge of running the games, and let me tell you, it gets crazy.  There's everything here: toilet paper, bananas, a great human-chain snake that tries to catch its tail . . . the list goes on.  But the best part is when the parents get to come back into the gym and engage with their student in teamwork and goofiness. They get really into it, and that makes me get really into it.    I might be having a lousy day or be bogged down with school work, but when I'm in the midst of all those students and their energy, and when I see their parents let their guard down and let themselves look silly with their kids,  it just makes me feel better.  I genuinely fell like I'm making someone's life a little better than it was.  

If you've never gotten the chance to experience this, then just go out and do something nice for somebody and you'll see; or better yet, come out and volunteer at one of our parent nights -we're always looking for new people to come and make a difference in the lives of these kids, even if its just one night running one game.  So, until next time - if you've been blessed, then go out and bless others more.  Maybe I'll even see you sometime at one of our parent nights, who knows?  I hope so!  

God bless,
Brandon 

No comments:

Post a Comment